Monday, May 29, 2023

Memorial Day Weekend: The Unofficial Start of Summer

 Not long after Layla and I got home from the pool was it that Grace and Jordan arrived.  We spent a little time catching up while I put the groceries away and run them through the tentative plan for the next day.  As I was winding down for bed, they were heading over to play video games with her dad.  

The next morning, I was up rather early as that seems to be my pattern.  After my normal morning chores, I began to prep the BBQ for the day.  I had removed some pulled chicken from the freezer before I went to bed last night and it was defrosting nicely.  I put that into the crock pot to start heating up and planned to just bring it along with us.  The rest was pretty easy; baked beans, coleslaw and potato salad, all bought from the deli the night before.  I grabbed a box of mac and cheese along with plates, napkins and plastic ware.  Next up was to pack the cooler and we'd be set.

Once we got to the pool and got ourselves situated, we realized we didn't bring any snacks.  Grace and Jordan hadn't really eaten at all that day, so they were willing to go back to Schnuck's for some chips and dips.  They were gone about 30 minutes and the snacks were fire.

Throughout the afternoon, we splashed in the pool, laid in the sun reading books, and enjoyed a delicious BBQ dinner.  That evening, we had some ice cream sandwiches and cleaned up the deck and house.  It was such a delightful day.  We are truly blessed to have the luxury of a "pool house" and my parents generosity in allowing us to use it while they are away.

On Sunday, we made it to 10am Mass and then I put together a small brunch following.  Grace and Jordan were heading back home and Layla and I were heading out to the river.  Multi-tasking at my best, I cooked eggs and bacon while also making salads and sandwiches to take with us to the river.  I've honed these skills over the years and we all made it out of the house only 10 minutes later than planned.

The river was quite crowded that Sunday afternoon, but we made the best of it.  It's so much easier to take up less space when it is just the two of us with limited beach equipment.  The first time we tried to go to the river this season, the sky clouded over and by the time we reached O'Fallon, we could see the storm moving in.  At the very next street, I flipped around and we out ran the storm back home.  Disappointed that we didn't get the river time, this time is all the better.  We only stayed for a few hours and spent most of the time on beach doing some reading.  It was a pretty peaceful day.

Sunday evening was uneventful.  We had fried chicken that I had bought from the deli along with the leftover sides from the weekend BBQ.  I took a long, hot shower and climbed into bed early.  It was some restful self care that I needed after a fun and active weekend.

Monday was like my bonus Sunday.  Having the day off, allowed me to do all of the normal housework that I do on Sundays.  I did laundry, cleaned the house, swept the floors, scrub the bathrooms and washed all of the dishes.  The house was sparkling clean (well, I don't know about "sparkling" per se, but clean nonetheless).  I was prepared for the next week of work, you know the real American dream for which our heroes fought. I feel like I am ready to take on this summer break!

0 comments: