Saturday, May 27, 2023

The End of Another School Year

 Today is the the last day of school for Layla.  She has successfully completed her 6th grade year and it feels like time is flying by as she is growing up.  I don't know who is more excited for the school year to be ending, though.  I know Layla is looking forward to a lazy summer spent sleeping in and lounging around with her phone as her single source of entertainment.  I, however, am looking forward to not having to get her up to get ready and then drive her to school.  I'm looking forward to not having to finagle pick up schedules and put a little more time back in my weekdays.

School dismissal is at 11am today followed by a school picnic with a food truck at the park across the street.  Since I'm not a big fan of school picnic, or school people or school parents or socializing in general, I decided we'd go.  Makes tons of sense, right?!  Honestly, I needed to kill a little time between after school and the next activity I had planned.  Plus, I knew Layla would enjoy spending a little free time and celebrating the end of the school year with her friends.

Since I had taken the day off work and Layla was to be taken to school by her dad, I was able to start my morning with some prep work for the day and holiday weekend. I packed up a picnic lunch, since neither of us were all that interested in the food truck options.  And to ensure I got a table in my prime location, I decided to get to the park at 10am.  To my surprise, there were no other school families there!  I really thought it would have been swarming with school moms setting up camp for their precious darlings.  Delighted I wouldn't have to make small talk for awhile at least, I found the best picnic table (and the one I had been manifesting) and dropped off the picnic basket and blanket.  This particular picnic table was furthest away from all other picnic tables and allowed me a great view of both the park and the soccer field. Feeling accomplished, I put in my air pods and strapped on my fanny pack to get a few miles in via the walking loop at the park.

When it was getting close to dismissal time, I headed across the street to pick up Layla and my niece, Charlotte from their last day.  I knew they might complain about having to walk back across the street with all of their stuff, but I was not going to risk my primo park parking to drive over to pick them up.

Once we successfully made it to the park, I realized just how great it was to have this table so far removed from others.  It was true bliss!

We enjoyed a small lunch and then the girls ran off to play while I listened to some music and caught up on emails.

When our allotted hour was over, I packed up our belongings and called for the girls.  I snapped a few mandatory last day of school pictures and we headed out of the park blaring the original "Schools Out" play list in the car.

We had enough time in our schedule to drop Charlotte off at home and then swing by our house so that Layla could change clothes.  Meanwhile, I swapped out our park gear for our movie theater gear and we we off to the movies.

The Little Mermaid had just premiered the night before and Layla had asked for only one thing on the last day of school, to see this movie.  I was thrilled to find a 1pm showing at the closest theater and even more excited that it would be in 3-D.

Although the movie was not exactly like the original, it was tremendous.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  And Layla did too!  It was a nice and cool way to celebrate the beginning of summer break.

After the movie, we came home and took a little nap.  Then, I prepped us some dinner and we decided some night swimming was how we wanted to end the day.  That evening, we went over to my parents house so that Layla could swim.  The water was quite cold, but she stayed in for a little while.  While I was absorbing the full vibes of the pool house, I decided a little pre-make BBQ and pool party would be necessary for Saturday.  I started loading items into my Schnucks cart for pick up and working up a meal in my head.  Since it is my parents house (albeit they are out of town) I didn't want to do a lot of actual cooking there. So, I decided on a menu I could pre make at home and then pack it up to warm it up at their house.  Just as I hit confirm on my grocery order for pick up a few hours later, Grace texted.  Both her and Jordan were bored and didn't have anything to do for the long weekend.  So, they packed a bag and were headed home for the weekend.  My house would be very full and I was so grateful I had already planned food and activities for Saturday.  A full house, sunshine, pool time and BBQ is just how summer break should begin.

0 comments: