Sunday, June 04, 2023

Sister Time in Cape Girardeau

 After carefully reviewing all of our calendars, it was determined this past weekend through this week is the only time this summer where Layla could spend some time with Grace at her apartment in Cape Girardeau. With Layla starting club soccer in July and Grace moving back to St. Louis at the end of July and all other activities on the calendar, I wanted to be sure they got this sister time together.

On Friday afternoon, we packed up all of our stuff (me for the weekend and Layla for the entire week).  Attempting to utilize the "summer Fridays" offered at my work, we hit the road a little after 3pm.  We made a quick stop at Waterway for discounted gas (thanks, Eva!) and to say goodbye to Eva who would be staying home through the weekend to work.  Once on the road, we hit a small amount of traffic but were soon cruising along down highway 55.

That evening, our plan was to have low key night and hang out at the complex pool.  A little night swimming and some pizza was what was on our agenda.  However, prior to arriving, Grace had received a message from the complex that the pool would be closed for maintenance.  That put a wrinkle into our predetermined plans.  Instead, when we go there, we spent close to an hour looking for things to do in Cape Girardeau.  It turns out that there really isn't much to do!  So, we found ourselves at El Torrero's eating average Mexican food and drinking fantastic margaritas.

After dinner, we went back to the apartment where Layla and Grace played some video games prior to calling it an early night.  Somehow, I was able to get a decent night's sleep even though the smoke alarm low battery alert chirped every 45 seconds through out the night.

The next morning, we were all up relatively early.  My lower back / sciatic nerve joint had been bothering me all week making it painful and uncomfortable to walk, especially in the early part of the day.  I've learned that the best way to manage this pain is to be more active.  It is especially painful in the morning because of the inactivity during the night's sleep.  So, I put on my tennis shoes, grabbed my fanny pack and air pods and set out for a little walk through the neighborhood.  It was nice to get out and get moving right away.  And, I discovered that the neighborhood is not quite as flat as my neighborhood walking route back at home.  It was already turning into a hot day and the extra hills added a little challenge to my workout.

Once back at the apartment, everyone was up and moving.  Grace and I headed off to the grocery store to pick up the items we needed for our trip to the lake along with some meats to grill that evening back at the apartment.  Once the food was prepped, the coolers packed and Jordan's amazing cocktail mixed up and ready to serve, we loaded into the car to go to Trail of Tears.  It is super convenient that the lake and beach access is only 20 minutes from Grace's place.  Back home, it is easily an hour drive to find access to water.  The short drive was a huge plus.

At the beach, the crowds were already forming.  We were able to set up our spot with the beach blanket and chairs and then grabbed our rafts for the water.  Because it was a super hot day, we did spend most of the time floating in the water.  We enjoyed sandwiches and salads along with fruits and cheeses as our lunch on the beach.  And, we consumed a few cocktails to really set the beach mood.  After a few hours, Layla and Jordan were exhausted by the sun.  Me, I could spend all day and all night on the beach.  But, realizing this was not about me, I obliged to pack up our beach day and return to the apartment.

That evening, Jordan grilled us up some hot dogs and hamburgers along with a few steak kabobs Grace and I had picked up from the store.  Grace made corn on the cob and baked potatoes.  We had quite the feast while sitting on the back patio listening to some tunes.

That evening, Grace and I rewatched the Vanderpump Rules part 2 of the reunion.  We have become obsessed with this reality show and the Scandaval.  Grace would actually be coming into St. Louis on Thursday evening so that we can watch the final reunion show together...and she would be bringing Layla home with her.

We made it another early night.  That is not hard to do when you start the day earlier and pack it full of activities.  The next morning, I got up early, said my goodbyes and headed out early.  Once home, I was able to unpack, start laundry and clean up the house.  Eva was at work, so I had most of the day to myself.  It was good to reset and get organized for the week ahead.

Layla is delighted to spend the week with Grace.  Although Grace is working during the day, she has plenty of activities planned for Layla.  Tonight, she was taking her out for a special dinner, all you can eat crab legs.  Layla was in heaven.  Later this week, they have some swimming planned along with a night at the movies to see The Little Mermaid (a second time for Layla) and a self-care girls night in.

I'm so happy that not only do they get this time together but they truly want to spend time together.  I'm so proud of my kids and their love for each other.  This is the stuff memories are made of.

0 comments: