Thursday, March 03, 2011

Support for the Supporter?

You know what's really hard to find?  Or maybe my internet research skills are lacking.  I don't know, but I've been searching for weeks now for some type of support group/internet group/chat room/anything for spouses of bi-polar people.  Is that what bi-polar people are called? bi-polar people? I'm all kinds of confused and probably wrong on all of this stuff.

It's just...so hard.  I want to help Chris.  We think he is bi-polar.  Yet, I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, or not doing, or what to look for or not look for or ANYTHING really!

I understand bi-polar as a disorder as much as reading a description of bi-polar behavior allows.  I've found a zillion websites telling me what bi-polar is and how it affects people.  I've come across chat rooms and forums and blogs by and for bi-polar people.  I've read their stories.  And I don't mean to sound insensitive here, but I don't need to hear from or read anymore about other bi-polar people.  I KNOW!

What I need is a place to ask questions about living with, being married to, raising a family with a bi-polar person.  This disorder doesn't just affect the person, but everyone around.  I need to not feel so alone in this battle.

My family has been great.  They really have.  But they don't see what I see.  Live what I live.  They are quick to say try this or that or he just needs to.  It's not that simple.  You don't just wake up one day and decide to be bi-polar.  Just as you can't wake up one day and decide to stop being bi-polar.

I know there has to be something designed to help family members of the bi-polar....I just haven't found it yet.

0 comments: