Monday, May 04, 2009

Watch Out World

Over the past month, I’ve branched out into the world of social marketing. Back in the dark ages, I earned a degree in Public Relations and Marketing. Not only did I earn that degree, but performed at an award winning level. At the top of my PR classes, I was confident that in less than five years, I would be the CEO of my own Public Relations firm. It’s funny how life doesn’t always work out according the plan of a 20 year old. Now, as a milestone birthday approaches, I’m revisiting the goals of my youth.

PR has always been a passion of mine. I like promoting something, anything, by finding the positive in the product and/or company and showing that to the public. I love humanizing business. Over the past ten years, I’ve watched the utter lack of personal attention in the companies that produce the products that keep America moving forward. As simple as I hoped it would be to jump right back into the PR scene, I have some major work cut out for me. When I graduated college, email was novel idea. In fact, I don’t think I even had a University provided email address. The only connection to the internet was dial-up. If I needed to do research, I actually had to leave my apartment and go to the library. And look for information in actual books. Wow, even writing this makes me feel old. To think about a time before the illusive net makes me ask, “How’d we get along in the world?”

Now in the fast-paced world of Twitter and Blackberries, PR has taken on a whole new persona. Although I’ve always stayed in touch with the technical evolution, breaking back into the market place is another story.

Fortunately, over the 10 years of being stagnant in the media and marketing circuits, I made friends. Great, wonderful and supportive friends. Friends that are doing their own thing and NEED ME to get their thing some public attention. Friends that are patient and appreciative. Friends that understand that social marketing isn’t an overnight miracle. Friends that truly get excited with any and all progress. And mainly friends that encourage me to turn this passion into full-time income but understand that this cannot be my only employment right now.

I’m thrilled to be a part of something again. To plant, cultivate, weed and pray for sun and rain all to see even the tiniest bud of life. And then to rejoice in those small sprigs Then handling with even more care and dedication for them to grow.

The seeds have been planted.

0 comments: