Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Reality Check

I returned to work today after ten days of hibernation. I crawled out of my comfy home, took my kids to their sitter and headed to the office ready to hit the ground running. During my vacation, I did not suffer from one headache or any overwhelming urge to suck down a nicotine stick. I slept well each night and awoke with energy to start each day. I lavished in the relaxed mood of the household. Even the kids were perfectly content to stay in bed until 9am. From there, they'd shuffle downstairs and cuddle under a blanket while watching T.V. I sat at the table and sipped my coffee relishing the taste, smell and warmth. We hung out in our pjs most of the days while taking turn choosing activities to keep our bodies and minds entertained. Basically, I pampered and spoiled myself with comfort and love...something everyone needs now and again. I wasn't exactly thrilled about returning to work, but I wasn't exactly dreading it either. After a well needed rest, I felt prepared to conquer the work world.

I expected everyone else at work to be the same way. I felt like I was moving in slow motion as I walked through the halls. Everyone was buzzing. Rushing from place to place and speaking like they were auditioning for the role of the MicroMachine Guy. It was complete culture shock. I felt like a down-south country girl drop right smack dab in the middle of Time Square. My mind just couldn't keep up. I made my way back to my office, sipped my coffee and began to leisurely scroll through my emails. After about 30 seconds I was loudly interrupted by my corporate boss who just happened to be in town and SUPRISE! will be spending the next 3 days with me.


"Where should we start?" she exclaimed joyfully.

"Huh...." was my response.

"We've got so much to do in such a short time! I want to spend every second of the next day helping you and teaching you and taking you to the next level. I can't....blah, blah blah blah blah...." was all heard until she snapped,

"So, where should we start?"

"I would say with a cocktail but I don't think that one's gonna fly...."

0 comments: