Monday, April 29, 2013

Weekend Recap

The weekend got started a little early for me since my work let us all leave 2 hours early on Friday. With this early dismissal, I was able to make it to school in time pick up the kids. They were quite surprised to see me there waiting. It was the first time all year that I had been able to pick them up from school. I am so grateful to my mom, dad and sister who are typically in charge to getting the kids to and from school each day.

An even better surprise was Eva asking me if I’d take a nap with her “like the old days.” I wanted nothing more than a nap before I got Layla from the babysitter, so I was delighted to snuggle up with my first grader. I’m sure she is the only first grader in the world that requests nap time after school.

I took Alex along with me when I went to pick up Layla. I also grabbed a couple pizzas for dinner. During the entire drive, this boy did nothing by complain about how boring his weekend was going to be. It must be the age because I can’t remember a time recently when he wasn’t complaining about something.

Saturday morning, Alex and I headed out to his first baseball game. It was raining when we left the house, but I had just gotten an email stating the game was still on. Since the ballpark was 40 minutes from our house, I thought it was possible that the weather would be better there. It was raining when we got there, as well. I hung out in the car until the start of the game. Then I wrapped myself it a big blanket and went to the bleachers. I had no intention of sitting in this rainy, cold weather for the whole game, but I wanted to get the line up so I didn’t miss Alex at bat. After the first 6 batters, the umpire called the game. I was a little frustrated that the game wasn’t called 2 hours earlier to save me getting out of bed and driving there, but nonetheless, I was glad we could just go home.

My niece spent the rest of the weekend with us. The house was in a constant state of chaos and I couldn’t keep a room clean any longer than it took me to get it that way. I gave in after my third attempt and retreated to my room. This is where I spent the majority of my weekend. Taking naps, watching movies, reading books. The house may have been a disaster, but the kids weren’t vying for my constant attention. This is a win in my book.

Sunday evening, I finished up the laundry and gave haircuts to the kids. The girls just needed a trim, and I was used to doing their hair. I had never cut a boys hair before, though. I watched a 5 minute You Tube tutorial and decided I could do it. I have to say I even impressed myself with my success. It is a little longer on top than necessary, but I can fix that tonight.

All in all, it was a pretty uneventful weekend, but one that provided rest and relaxation. I’m hoping for some sunshine and warm temps for next weekend, because I’m getting the itch to get out and do something!