Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Routine, Routine, Routine

It's day 3 of just me and the baby now that the big kids are all in school.  I'm beginning to get into a routine again. As boring as that sounds, it is exactly what I need. (well...my crazy pills would be nice, too, but I don't see that happening).

Now, I know that just as soon as I think I've got it all figured out the baby will up and decide to change her schedule.  Hopefully I will be able to roll with it when that happens.  For now, though, I'm liking our own little world.

My day starts at 5am.  I am not a morning person.  I never have been.  But this little lady is determined to make me one.  Which is fine.  The early bird catches the worm, right?

So at five, Layla eats.  For the first half hour of my day, I cuddle with my bug as the rest of the house sleeps.  Then it's packing lunches, making breakfast and washing dishes left from the night before.

I start waking the kids at 6am and by 6:15 they are all eating breakfast.

Chris rolls out of bed and into the shower by 6:30 and we are all out the door before 7.

Ok, I know this sounds ridiculously boring...and routine...and probably what every other mother on the planet has been doing for forever.  BUT! This is a huge accomplishment for me.  For us.  Because we are not morning people.  At all.

Thus far, we've had zero morning meltdowns.  The beds have been made and rooms cleaned.  Today, I even got a load of laudry going before we left.

After taking Chris to work and the kids to school (which they are often the first to arrive and that makes them super happy), Layla and I head to the lake for a walk.

I forgot how much I enjoy the four miles around the lake.  I can clear my head and listen.  I spend so much time talking...to God, the kids, Chris, my family....I need this time to just listen.

From there, the rest of the day flows seemlessly.  Eat, Sleep, Bathe, Clean. Play.

I feel like I finally have some control over my life again.

Or maybe it's that I let God have the control.

I don't know.

But, I do know that my life is more managable with a routine.


3 comments:

m&msmommy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Routines definitely make life more manageable! (perhaps I should take my own advice since in the evenings, there is typically no routine in my household and I get to the point of craziness that I should probably be instituionalized! ;)) But good for you for getting a routine AND no morning meltdowns! :)

I've been praying for you! :)

Natalie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That's great gal! I know it must be hard with all those little ones but sounds like you are doing a great job!

Kerry said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That's excellent!! Routines are great, I wish I had one lol
You accomplish more and get to tick off of your to do list, somedays I'm like that and others I'm not. But I much prefer routine.
I certainly don't get out of bed at 5am though!! What's that like lol
You're doing great :)
Have a fantastic weekend!!