Friday, February 25, 2011

New Horizons

I'm expanding my horizons.  I've been blogging here off and on (sometimes more off than on) since 2006.  I've dabbled in social media starting with MySpace and quickly moving onto Facebook and Twitter.  I have a degree in Public Relations and Marketing as well as ten years of sales and sales management experience.  I understand marketing and communications and been praying to get into a position where I could work from home and do what I like.  And get paid for it.

Right now, we are making it financially.  We've got enough income to make ends meet with even a little left at the end of the month to stash away into savings.  However, we have to think about the future.  Soon, the kids will need more things.  Like braces and continued private school tuition.  We'd also like to buy a new vehicle at some point.  And maybe take a vacation.  Small things really, but things that we really can't do without going into debt.  We've been in debt.  It sucks!  I don't want to go through that again.  I like only buying within our means.  But our buying needs will continue to increase.  And oh, did I mention we are adding a fourth child to this already tight budget?!?!  In a few short months and we have still not got one single baby item for this child?!?

I digress.  Chris and I have talked about this quite a bit.  And we agree that I need (and want) to be home with the kids.  I don't want to return to work full time.  I don't want to pay a babysitter to be with my baby so I can go to work.  I want to be able to go on field trips with the kids and be here when they get out of school.  I want to run them to the bazillion different sporting, scouts, club, whatever events.  That's why we had children....to raise them ourselves.

Now, I'm not discrediting any parent out there that does work full time to support their family.  I've been there and I've done that, too.  I know how challenging and rewarding it can be to work outside the home.  I also know that is not what we want for our family, right now.

With the world changing so fast, I want to be the one influencing my children's decisions.  I want to build a solid foundation of self-awareness and faith so that when they spread their wings to fly they don't crash and burn.  I'm proud of my children.

Realistically, though, we are going to need more income in the coming years to support our dreams for our family.  Plus, I hate Chris feeling "alone" in the financial responsibility arena.  I've been praying for our finances and our work for months now.  And thus far, God has helped us flourish.  I have no doubt that He will continue to bless this area of our life.

After a couple meetings last week, it appears as if my "best of both worlds" wish will come true.  Some details still need to be hashed out...as well as payment for services.  But I'm really excited.

Not only will I be here on a more regular basis, I will also be here.  So go check it out and show some love in the comments. 

And keep us in your prayers.  God is listening!

0 comments: