Wednesday, February 02, 2011

The Blizzard that Wasn't

From the beginning, I doubted this storm.  The media all seemed to jump on this bandwagon, and it is seriously the only thing that must have been going on in the entire St. Louis region over the past 4 days. 

On Sunday, the first day they started reporting about this monsterous snow storm coming our way, I told my sister I was just going to ignore it.  She laughed at me and told me I better be prepared.  I knew in my gut that this was just a bunch of hype.  What better way to spike the economy then with an impending doom "story".  I continued to ignore it all day Sunday and most of the day Monday.  My youngest sister (Heart Momma) and I had a blast making fun of all the insanity on the news, facebook and twitter.  Almost too much fun. 

By Monday afternoon, I went to get Eva from school and decided that I was better safe than sorry.  Our house was already fully stocked with groceries.  We have a bizillion blankets all cleaned and ready to go due to some heating issues we had a few weeks back.  But, since we just moved less than a month ago I still hadn't come across any flashlights.  Eva and I stopped by the hardware store and bought the last three flashlights and cleaned out their slim selection of batteries.  If we were going to lose our power, I needed batteries to keep the kids entertained with their leapsters and ipods and games and such.  And I guess having some light to play those games...or find our way to the bathroom in the middle of the night... wouldn't be a bad idea either.  I was going to buy some ice melt as well but of course they were sold out (Chris brought some home from work though, so issue solved).  Everything was sold out everywhere!  Dierbergs couldn't keep bananas in stock.  Even the most expensive bread at Whole Foods was sold out.  The end of the world was coming....go spend all your money on food and toilet paper!  I laughed with the guys at the hardware store about the craziness of this whole thing.  Although they were laughing as they counted their money.  They had more business in a few days then they had all month. By Monday night we were all home and waiting.  Tuesday, Chris headed to work and we waited. And waited...and waited...and waited some more.

Here are the final pictures from my "Out the Front Door" documentary.

(and recycling bin has been in the exact same location for 3 days.  It was the end of the world people!  I could not be bothered with moving my bin to the back of my house as I was too busy making fun of people on the interwebz).

All in all, we got 2 inches of mostly ice with a dusting of snow on top to make it look pretty.

The kids go back to school tomorrow and I'm back to my regular routine.  All of this is kind of depressing.  And a huge waste of time.

I've heard reports that areas to our west did get almost 2 feet of snow.  Yet, I'm hearing that from the news reporters who I'm pretty sure are just covering their a**es for overplaying this whole thing in the first place.

On a brighter note, the Groundhog didn't see it's shadow so EARLY SPRING!  YAY!  Now that's the kind of weather prediction I can believe.  I knew I could count on the rodents...especially my pal Phil.