Tuesday, June 17, 2008

One Simple Choice

It started just like any other day. The alarm rang. I snoozed. Sweet child of mine was faint in the background of my peaceful slumber. 6am. My cell phone alarm was going off in the kitchen. I pulled the cover up closer, rolled over and held on to the little bean sleeping next to me. Ten more minutes of sleep. The alarm went off again. And then again. And then again. Begrudgingly, I got up. I loathe the mornings. In a foggy haze, I stumbled to the kitchen and started doing the dishes. I'm really not sure why. Before I knew it, I had the kitchen semi clean. I got into my morning routine minus the urgency to get out of the house. This peace had settled upon me. After brushing my teeth I greeted my long lost friend. I breathed in his presence and welcomed him back into my life. I made the choice. The choice to not snub, ignore or blatently disrespect the peace that has entered. That one simple choice has changed the entire course of my day.

Throughout today, some amazing things happened. The kids were kind to each other. We got out of the house without any yelling. We weren't late. No drama ensued at the babysitter drop-off. A potential job offer lurks in the near future. I hated my job less today than most days. At no point did I want to punch someone in the face. Icy Caramel Mocha was sipped and enjoyed. And...I'm writing.

Could all of this have possibly happened by letting go of expectations?

My new experiment.... A positive outlook!

0 comments: