Monday, December 11, 2006

Welcome to the Family

My sister-in-law tied the knot Saturday night. Leaving the Chapel lasted longer than the actual ceremony . It was a very quick to the point "I do's", kiss and presentation. From there, the night spiraled into a ridiculous spectacle. As we were leaving, my father-in-law could not get his car started. Chris offered his assistance and jumped the battery twice each time the car dying within minutes. After the second time, they decided it would be best to leave their car and ride with us (my father-in-law, his mother and his girlfriend). After piling in our car, we attempted to leave the extremely iced-over parking lot. Our tires did a lot of spinning and we eventually needed a push to get out of the lot. We started off down the street but heard a loud rumbling, clunky sound. Our tire blew out. AWESOME! We pulled over and began the process of changing the tire. However, due to the extreme cold temperatures the tire was frozen to the wheel. After about thirty minutes of Chris and his dad beating the tire with everything they could find in the trunk including golf clubs, I received the okay to call Chris' mom (my father-in-law's ex). Let me just tell you, at that moment, I knew the night was going to be interesting. Chris' parents have been divorced for several years. And even the years when they were married were not quality years. They have the perfect example of a love-hate relationship. They love to hate each other. Not one conversation with either of them is ever complete until they mention the other in some rude, obnoxious, sarcastic way. It's just a blast to hang around with them. Now, I had to call my mother-in-law to bring us my sister-in-law's car while she rode with a friend. GREAT! Once she arrived we all piled in the itty-bitty Saturn and headed to dinner. My toes had just began to defrost when we reached the restaurant. Because it was oh-so-genius of me to wear open toed shoes. Especially since it was 20 degrees outside.

As soon as Chris parked the car, it was a mad dash to the bar. Oh, yes, after the circus we had just been involved in, alcohol was the only thing that kept us going. Unfortunately, some of the family drank WAY more than they should have. Remember the two people I mentioned in the love-hate relationship? Well, they decided at some point (probably after the tenth drink) that they would love each other. Normally that would be great. I'm all about people getting along and living in a world without hate. Their way of showing their "love" was to make out at the bar. While the girlfriend was in the next room. And Chris was sitting at the bar next to them. Oh. My. GAWD! WOW! I felt so bad for the girlfriend (whom as been with my father-in-law for many, many years and I've always considered as family). But, then again, she knows them better than I do. I don't think she'd be surprised if she were to ever find out. And I'm not sure if she'd care, either. Now, Chris, on the other hand, did not handle the situation so well. I cannot even explain what must have been going through his head. I don't think he could. From there, the night went down hill in a nano-second (not that it started out so great to begin with). The bride and groom gave us a lift to the bar/dance club they were going to for the after party. We stayed there for about ten seconds before Chris and I both decided we could no longer be around this crowd. We left the bar on foot and called a cab from a local hotel.

Regardless of the obscene events of the evening, the important thing is that we now have a new addition to this WONDERFUL family. Matt, don't say I didn't warn you! Crazy may be the best word to explain them but it is done out of love for them all.