Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Greatest Sports City is NO LIE!

One of the many things I love about living in St. Louis is the true passion and ambition our city shows in supporting our sports teams, Baseball in particular. For the third straight year, the Cardinals have made it to the National League playoffs. The past two years, it was just a given that they would advance. This year, though, the team was ridden with multiple injuries and a season somewhat less than exhilarating. There were great games and plays but they just weren't playing like they had in the past. The team seemed weaker. However, they held on and made the playoffs. Right now, the series is tied two games a piece, with game five being played tonight here at the new Busch Stadium. The fans here have stood by their team through the good and bad. By no means are we St. Louisians fair weather fans.

This year, I've been a little distracted with household going-ons to really, truly follow the Cardinal season as I have in the past. I attended two games this season, both which we lost. However, the new stadium is MAGNIFICANT. Other than that and the occasional sports blubs on the news, I haven’t been very knowledgeable on the statistics.

Because of my slight isolation from the Cardinal Mania, I’ve forgotten just how devoted and somewhat insane Cardinals fans are.

At a visit today in the cafeteria of a Jefferson County high school, I was distracted from my romance novel by a loud, obnoxious banging on the table. It started with just one guy who appeared to be a prominent figure in the “popular” crowd. Soon, several other teens began banging on the table. The entire cafeteria fell silent in anticipation of what was going to happen. My first thoughts was that the ring leader was egging on one of his buddies to see how many ding-dongs he could shove in his mouth or something juvenile like that. Then the group of guys shouted some chant that I could not decipher. At the end I was able to make out “Go Cards!” The “ring leader” began singing “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” and before he completed the first measure, the entire lunch room joined in. Tears began to well up in my eyes and chills overcame my body. I was moved. It was like being at a pep rally during lunchtime. When the song ended, the entire room was standing and cheering for the St. Louis Cardinals.

It was at that moment that I realized why we are the Best Sports City. I’m proud to say I’m a part of it. It definitely put the spark back in the chase for the pennant.

Those kids are the epitome of what it means to live in St. Louis.

Addendum:

Cardinals take game Five with a score of 4 to 2 over the Mets. Game Six tonight in New York. Go Cards!

0 comments: