Sunday, August 02, 2026

One Last Time

Tomorrow morning we leave for one final trip to Michigan. As the summer is coming to a close and graduation has commenced, Alex is coming home.

To be fair, it won't be my last trip to Michigan ever. It is just the last time Alex is my reason to visit. It seems unreal that five years of traveling to Grand Rapids is over. I am honestly a little sad. From senior recruitment and admission activities to volleyball games and college ceremonies, and then the big day, graduation, Michigan has felt like a second home. This week, I will soak in all that I can, then bring my boy home.

To be fair, a second time, it is unlikely Alex will stay "home" for long. He has always had big dreams and an uncanny way of making those dreams come true. I know his heart is set to move out West. I know his bank account is laughing. So, for the next three to six months, he is home.

Layla and I will be getting on the road around three in the morning. Since Layla had knee surgery in June, her summer activities have been pretty limited. As much as I would have liked to have gone on a full fledge family beach vacation this year, it wasn't going to happen. Neither time or money would allow. Plus, surgery incisions needed to heal and physical therapy was critical. Therefore, I'm also trying to turn this trip into a vacation for Layla and I. Thanks to ChatGPT, a co-worker, and Layla's surgeon (who happens to be from the Grand Rapids area), I have created our Michigan Adventure itinerary. 

Tonight, I have us all packed up. Although I really tried to pack light, especially since I will need room to bring back some of Alex's moving boxes, my car is already full! I'm reminding myself that I won't have as much of "my stuff" on the way home. That's because Layla, Alex and I will need to eat pretty much the entire vacation. Snacks, drinks and cooking essentials galore! To prep the cooler, I froze a case of water bottles and any food that could be frozen. My old Igloo cooler is like a literal ice chest. My goal is to keep the food cold, just like a refrigerator, until we get to the VRBO on Wednesday. Because I've done this a few time before, I have faith this method won't fail me. And once all of the food is used from the cooler, I'll use it to pack the beach towels and bathroom products on the way home. I really have this all worked out in my head. Now, let's hope it actually all works out.

Let the adventure begin.