Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Country Cherub

Back in November, Grace and I heard a commercial on a local radio station promoting "Jingle Fest," an annual holiday concert featuring three up and coming country artists. 

"Mom."  She said.  "I totally want to go to this.  It would be an awesome first concert."

I had to agree.  With her being only eleven, I, too, couldn't think of a more age appropriate, wholesome concert for her.

So, my mission began.

I quickly learned that tickets to this event could not be purchased.  The website listed over fifteen locations in which a limited number of tickets would be handed out.

My first attempt at nabbing this prize possession was a Tuesday evening at our own local Shop-N-Save.  Easy-peasy...or so I thought.

I pulled into the parking lot a little before the aforementioned time only to realize the line of other ticket-seekers stretched the length of the supermarket....and down the side...and wrapped around the back.  There were easily three hundred people in line vying for 100 tickets.

I didn't even park the car.

I consulted the website again.

Attempt two was on a beautiful, fall afternoon.  Again, at a Shop-N-Save, but this one was in the next county over.  Learning from my mistakes, I got to there a half hour early.  The line was long, but not too long.  Since it was so nice, I made a go of it.  At noon, line tickets were issued.  I was at least 25 people away from the last line ticket, indicating that my quest had failed.

I made one last attempt.  Another Shop-N-Save, another 25 miles away.  It was windy, rainy and cold.  I went anyway.  I waited in line for an hour and a half.  The line tickets were issued.  The person in front of me got the last one.

For the last time, I walked away empty handed.

Disappointed and a little ticked off, I broke the news to Grace. 

"Thanks for trying," was her response.  "Maybe next year."

She took it like a champ....which strangely didn't make it any easier for me.

Two days before the concert a little angel set my phone a-ringing.

"I have two Jingle Fest tickets that I can't use.  You want them?" came the voice of my sister.

While driving home from school on the afternoon of the concert, I handed Grace an envelope.

"Oh My Gosh!" she exclaimed.  "I would totally hug you but I don't want you to wreck the car."

I smiled as I looked at her...jaw dropped and puzzled.

"How did you...when did you...ahh...who cares!  I can't wait to go with you!  Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!"

We went.

Hunter Hayes...Storm Warning
We danced.

Thompson Square...Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not
We sang.

Jake Owen...Barefoot Blue Jean Night
We bonded.

Who says angels don't exsist?

3 comments:

Amber said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Angels really do exist. I'm so glad that you two were able to share such a fantastic first concert. It brought a smile to my face.

Heather said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wonderful! I am still searching for the perfect first concert for my 12 year old!"

LA Botchar said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

what a wonderful night for the two of you. These are the things I look forward to as my girls grow older.