Tuesday, August 02, 2011

The Official Unofficial End of Summer

I can honestly say I am glad it is August.  It's not that I don't like the month of July.  Truly, it is one of my most favorite months.  It's just so busy.  Here are some of the highlights.

This year for the fourth of July weekend we skipped the traveling, the firework displays and the bon-fires in exchange for some back yard fun with our new family of six.  It was low key and a great way to adjust to life with a baby.  Chris grilled up some burgers and corn on the cob and he and the kids created a little firework magic for my viewing pleasure.  What better way to celebrate America than with our all American family.



On July 5th of 2010, our family was blessed with a miracle.  My neice, Ruth, received her heart transplant setting the stage for a happy and healthy 2011.  This once sickly little baby is now a vibrant firecracker.  We couldn't be prouder or more in love with our Ruester. 


Chris' birthday always comes in a whirlwind of family activity.  It's not easy to always set aside sometime just to celebrate him.  Although he deserves much more, the kids created cute, loving and down right tear-jerking cards to wish him a happy birthday.  Then we loaded up the van and went out to dinner.  I have put off getting his present until later in the fall.  I know what he wants but right now it just doesn't fit in our budget.  I'm still working toward it and think he will be just as happy getting it later rather than never.
 
 
 
Just when we think we can breathe for a short second this month, up come some more birthday celebrations.  My dad turned 61. I'm grateful everyday for having him in our lives.  Even if he is a bit of a control freak, I love him with all my heart and understand just how deeply proud he is of each and every one of us.  
 
 
 
And then, we can't forget about my birthday.  Although, most years we do.  With is smack dab in the middle of a month already crammed packed with events, it's easy to let it slip by.  However, Chris was a rockstar this year.  He gave me this necklace to represent the best four gifts he has given me. 
 
 
 
Layla celebrated her first month of life and I seriously cannot imagine our lives without her.  Sometimes the best things in life are suprises. 
 
 
 
Then we celebrated Grace's 11th birthday.  With temperatures nearing 100 degrees on her party day, Chris went into action with tents and misting fans to keep us all cool and comfortable on the Hawaiian Party Island. 
 
 
 
To finish off the month, we all got sick. Summer colds and a stomach virus kept us all down and out last week. 
 
So, yes, July was full of fun and excitement.  But I am officially done with summer. 
 
Now it's time for Back to School paperwork, math packets and book reports and school supply shopping. 
 
Only 16 more days...the countdown has begun!

5 comments:

Natalie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Man it does sound like you've had a busy summer! Good luck with your back to school shopping!

Kerry said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow cute family! And a busy July just like ours was :)
So happy for that sweet sweet baby getting her transplant, poor little thing and look at your little munchkin, bet the big kids adore her!!
Happy August to you and I am glad to have found you in bloggy land too :) xo

Shell said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow, what a July you had!!!

Summer is almost over in my mind, too- school equals fall. Even when its in the 100s.

Heather said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

that was a crazy July! But all happy!

I love that your summer has revolved around your family.

And I really love that necklace!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Busy month! But also so fun. What a wonderful thing that your niece is doing so well.