Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Eleven

My Dearest Grace on Your Birthday,

Oh, sweetheart, I don’t even know where to start. Saying happy birthday just doesn’t seem like enough to encompass how much love my heart holds for you.

You are an amazing young woman. These eleven years have been full of fun, sorrow, laughter and tears. But through it all, you have become exactly who you are meant to be.

My heart was forever changed the day you were born. So tiny and precious, I feared I wouldn’t be a good enough mother. There are still days when I worry that I’m not. But then, to stop and look at you, I know that even through my failings you are maturing into a phenomenal person.

As a baby, you gave us a lot of grief. And brought us many sleepless nights. From early on, you’ve been our high maintenance little girl. Here eleven years later, you still love to be the center of attention.

With your vivacious personality and beautiful smile, you’ve won over the hearts of many.

But, what really makes me proud is when all the outside appearances are stripped away, you have a heart of gold.

It is sometimes so hard to parent you because you are such a great friend. As you get older, it is becoming harder (yet, more necessary) to define the lines between mother and friend.

Some days I wish you were still my little baby…the one who would cuddle in bed with me to read books and watch movies. Some days I think you wish you were too.

I’m struggling to put into words the love I have for you. As tears stream down my face, my heart is overflowing.

So before I turn into a puddle of love, I will bring this birthday wish to a close.

These past eleven years have been the best years of my life. You are a blessing from God. You make my heart sing.

Happy Birthday, Baby!

Love,
Mom

6 comments:

Natalie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Happy birthday to your little girl! She is so beautiful just like her momma!

Amiyrah said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Happy Birthday Grace!

I love love loved this post. My daughter just turned 1 and that's what I wrote about for my PYHO. It's so wonderful to read a mom write a letter to a daughter 10 years older than mine. Gives me a glimpse into my future. I hope she has a great day.

If you have a second, please feel free to stop by my blog and read my letter :)

Shell said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

She is beautiful! Happy birthday to your sweet girl!

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful! Happy birthday to her! TIme flies so fast. My oldest is going to be 13 in September. It just doesn't seem fair...

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful! Your words and your daughter. Happy birthday to her!

Emmy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Awe! Makes me not quite as worried for my kids to grow up. She is beautiful and sounds amazing.