Friday, June 03, 2011

First Date

I had only been home from college for a few weeks when his old blue Blazer came down the street.

Although we had known of each other for the majority of our lives, we didn’t really meet until last night. After a double shift at the local restaurant (the one his family owns), I convinced myself to go to his party. His younger sister, albeit annoying, kept telling me how much I needed to be there.

When he invited me, I shrugged and said we’ll see.

I didn’t know anyone there…besides him and his sister. But, I didn’t feel out of place. I didn’t stay long. It was late already, and I had a curfew. When I told him I was leaving, he hugged me. It was strange but nice.

“Lunch tomorrow?” he said more than asked.

“Sure.” I replied.

I drove home smiling. I didn’t really know this guy. But I didn’t really have any friends in town. He seemed nice enough.

I was already heading down the front stairs as he was getting out of the truck. Standing at the passenger side with his hunter green Oakley’s, he looked so cool and confident.

When he smiled, my heart skipped a beat.

I was totally not interested in this guy in that way. I had a boyfriend…even if that boyfriend was spending his summer in a town two hours away. I just needed some friends.

He opened the door for me, and I climbed in.

“Don’t start thinking that I’m all gentlemeny or anything. My door handle is broken so I have to open this door first. Can you reach across and open mine?”

He waited until we were a few blocks away from my parents’ house before he turned up the volume and base on DMX's Ruff Ryders' Anthem. He must have known my parents would not have appreciated his choice of music.

When we arrived at the sandwich shop, he recommended his favorite, the Philly Cheesesteak. With my approval, he ordered one for both of us. We split the fries.

Nestled into a corner booth, the conversation came so naturally. Like we had known each other forever. I guess in some way we had.

His grandparents lived next to my parents…my childhood home. We knew some of the same people. Ran in some of the same circles. But, this was our first conversation.

Turning down the music as he approached my street, he took me home after lunch. As he hugged me goodbye, I melted into his arms.

It felt so good. So right. Exactly where I wanted…and needed to be.

“I’ll see you tonight.” he said.

And he did.

And pretty much every night for the last 13 years.

1 comments:

Rachel said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a great first date story! I love the whole thing. Amazing how the things that change our whole lives - start off as such tiny things! :)