Thursday, August 24, 2006

Do You Want Some Cheese With That Whine?

Okay, I'm going to whine about my work. Just a fair warning. I know, I KNOW I should be grateful to have a job that affords me an endless amount of flexibility along with a somewhat respectable pay check. I SHOULD talk about how nice it is to work for a major corporation that gives you one sick day a month, two vacation days a month, four personal days and comp time out the wazoo. Not to mention the awesome retirement plan. I SHOULD talk about how my job is stress-free and how I enjoy traveling and presenting the opportunities our University has to offer. But, I'm not going to. I'm not going to because I have been bored out of my mind for the last three weeks. And it's that time of the month. I just don't feel like being nice.

Since August 1st, I've been back to work full-time. I used up most of my comp time during June and July and had an awesome summer with my husband and kids. Block time started at the beginning of August. This is when we are required to be in the office everyday, eight hours a day to prepare for our fall travel season. I was under the notion that we would have some planned meetings and inservices with the various departments to learn more about the University inorder to better portray it to our students. Learn how to do our jobs better. Boy was I wrong. I spent the first week in August putting together my travel binder and researching different fields and opportunities to increase my personal knowledge. The second week, I checked out a book from our library that discusses the differences in generations with an intense focus on today's college-bound student. I have to say I did find it very interesting. Last week I scheduled all of my visits for September and October. I have also printed directions to all of my destinations. I researched hotels, restaurants and area attractions. My boss has spoken less than twenty words to me or the rest of his staff this entire month (except for my evaluation where I let him know that I think he is an idiot. He may have said "Sure, Sure. No, you're right" twenty times). He has made no effort to give us any type "work" to do. He never scheduled any inservices, tours or staff development retreats.

This week, I have had absolutely NOTHING to do. I tried earlier in the week to occupy my time with preparing piano lessons for Grace and searching for ideas and websites in which to supplement the kids' everyday learning. I have seen the end of the internet. I am literally bored to tears. I actually sat here yesterday afternoon and cried. Ok, maybe that's a little extreme, but I did mention it's that time of the month. I'm emotional. I guess more than anything, I hate sitting here staring at my computer screen when I could be playing at the park with the kids. Why must I endure such torture? Only two weeks left until I start traveling again. I know I should enjoy the slow-paced, simplicity of my job right now. It won't be long before I'm working my tail off. I could easily enjoy these two weeks. If only I could work from the comforts of my own bed. That would make me happy!

0 comments: